How To Prepare Amala And Ewedu Soup
Welcome to another edition of how to cook and recipes hope you enjoyed our last edition. Today we are going to learn how to prepare Amala (Yam Flour) and Ewedu Soup.
Amala (Yam Flour) and Ewedu Soup is a popular food in western Nigeria, it is a common food amongst the yoruba tribe, as it is well respected infact it is their traditional meal. Out of a thousand yoruba homes 999 homes do eat Amala and Ewedu Soup at least two to three times every week. It’s a kind of meal the yoruba’s cannot do without, the amazing part is that they have different techniques and ways of preparing Amala and Ewedu Soup is somehow hard and also easy depending on the person cooking it. Thats why we are going to learn it today.
I myself have tested this great meal and I loved it, Amala as it is popular called by the yoruba’s is gotten from yam I.e processing Amala comes from yam so now let’s look at the ways by which Amala can be processed.
How To Process Amala (Yam Flour) :-
Amala takes a little comprehensive methods to be prepared first one has to get tubers of yam slice them into pieces wash them throughly with water then spread it on a dry surface and allow the water to dry in some cases you will need to dry it in a place where there will be a direct sunlight to it so it will be able to dry properly ones you noticed it has dried then ground it to dust. Some people do make use of motal and pistle to ground there own but it is a kind of difficult task as it takes many hours before it will be as smooth as a powder sometimes one can’t even make it smooth but all thanks to the modern technology that has made it very easy. There are electric powered machines that can ground the yam to flour making it very smooth in a space of ten to fifteen minutes.
When you must have grounded you yam into flour and it’s as smooth as powder without any ungrounded particles,we then venture into how to make it to the stage of it being Amala.
How to prepare Amala:-
First of all get a clean put and clean water now pour the water inside the pot and allow it to boil, one’s the water is boil pour out small quantity inside a bowl then get your Amala powder (Yam Flour) pour a little quantity of it inside the boiling water, when pouring the yam flour make sure you stir it continuously with a stick. There is this kinda of stick which is basically used for making Amala. So stir it continuously until you notice that the Amala is a little but strong then bring it down from the fire then start pouring the remaining yam flour and continue turning it while pouring the flour until its a little bit solid now pour a little of the hot water inside the Amala flour and keep on turning it until the whole flour dissolves inside the hot water and becomes solid now get nylon and tear them into pieces look for a flat rubber plate use it in scoping out some moulds of amala and put on the nylon pieces plasta the nylon on it as it is a yoruba tradition way of serving the Amala meal that’s all and your Amala is ready to serve.
NOTE:- please make sure the Amala is not as solid as garri so at to be good for consumption.
Now let’s look into the benefits of eating Amala.
1. Weight loss:- for those who would want to watch their weights, Yam flour is a good meal for you cause it has high fiber that helps the body remove wastes
2. Healthy Heart:- yam flour helps the body in keeping a healthy heart cause it contains nutrients that help the body to regularize cholesterol
3. Digestion:- due to the rich fibre yam flour contains it aids the digestive system
4. A Healthy Eye:- yam flour helps the eyes vision cause it contains calories which helps the eye vision
5. Cancer:- yam flour is rich in antioxidants that helps the body to fight against diseases that might break the system down, it also contains a high fibre nutrient which reduces the risk of someone suffering from cancer
6. Diabetes:- yam flour is one great meal a diabetic patient should eat cause it has a low glycemic
Now To The Aspect Of Ewedu Soup (Jute Mallow)
Health benefits of Ewedu Soup (Jute Mallow)
1. Healthy Teeth:- the jute mallow leave popular known as Ewedu is very good at maintaining a healthy teeth, it is rich in calcium and also protects the teeth from bacteria’s
2. Cold and Flu:- Ewedu leave helps the body fight against flu and cold because it contains vitamin C which helps keep the body fit
3. Eye Vision:- Ewedu leave helps the eye vision because of its rich nutrients in vitamins like vitamin B
4. Healthy Skin:- Ewedu leave contains rich antioxidants nutrients that helps keep a healthy skin
5. Immune system:- Ewedu leave is a nutrious vegetable that helps boost immune system that helps keep the body fit
Now that we have know few of the health benefits of Ewedu leave (jute Mallow) let’s now go into how to prepare Ewedu Soup.
1. Ewedu leave
2. Locust bean
4. Clean water
5. Broom stick
Cut you Ewedu leave into pieces but first remove the leave from the stem now then you cut them into pieces with your hands not with a knife but your hands.
Now get a clean pot add little water inside the pot and a little locust bean inside the water allow the water to boil for few minutes now then pour your Ewedu leave inside the boiling water and leave for some minutes so that the leave will be well cooked bring it down from the heat, then get your broom not anyhow broom ooo but a clean broom and then use it in pounding the already cooked Ewedu leave until its starts drawing and your Ewedu Soup is ready for consumption now serve it with the already made Amala.
CONCLUSION:- thank you for reading my today’s blog post i hope you find it helpful to prepare this meal. You are also free to bring up your own thoughts and ideas